August 02, 2024, 11:10:30 PM

Author Topic: BFG:R as a finished project-Who actually cares?  (Read 13472 times)

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
Re: BFG:R as a finished project-Who actually cares?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Baron's hallucinating again. Just disregard the last post,  he totally misunderstood you and is starting a flame way. Just don't pay attention and hopefully the outbursts will stop.  ::)

No, I'm serious.  We need to stop having this defeatist attitude about things.  It only makes shit worse and I get pissed off every time I see it.

And, seriously, how much does a large scale tournament series cost?  I figure that the grand prize is probably about 30k but there's advertising, and space costs.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
He's just saying what he believes are facts, Baron. In fact, I think he's a pretty motivated contributor here. Baron, are you in the USA?

Offline Khar

• Loc: Frozen Wastes of Poland
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
First, I have to clarify i'm not in the slightest offended. You, good sir, just misunderstood. Trying not to risk prolonged and potentially uncivil discussion, I'll just repeat my point in shorter form:

I don't feel defeated. None of us is defeated. I's just that I feel we are what is left. No one will help in bringing BFG to former glory, if we want to win, we must win by ourselves. There will be no official update, GW wil not put FAQ on their site, no. I don't believe it could happen. Therefore, all work is to be done by us. We must repair what is broken in the rules, make them into one document that will make introducing new players easier and, well, introduce new players. And from there, it's small steps forward, one new player a time. In this order. First rules, then popularity.

And it can be done, it's just that... I don't think anyone will do it if people here won't.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 01:56:56 AM »
Baron, are you in the USA?

Yes.  At the moment.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
That GW is leaving BFG alone is a blessing.

Models are still being sold.
Rules are left alone. Yes they frigged the FAQ (a reason we are no longer seeing Ray, Nate and Bob around) by not uploading it.
But if GW started effectively adressing BFG themselves the game could see changes none of us would like to see.

The current BFG ruleset is playable.
People who use the FAQ use it, or bits of it. Same with other fanrules.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
Models are still being sold.

Until the molds fail.  You might notice that the list of ones available has been slowly getting smaller.  GW appears to be quietly phasing them out as the molds fail and back stock sells out.  Sword even fell off the site for a month, but came back. 

Further the quality of the minis has been declining as well, with increasing flash and mold lines.

While it's all well and good to say that it's a good thing that GW is abandoning the game, the reality is taht it pretty much seals BFGs fate and consigns it to the dust bin.  Maybe in 20 years they'll release a special limited edition like they did with Space Hulk, but on the whole it leaves the community high and dry. 

Unless you LIKE paying $35 per Nicassar Dhow.  I'm sure some of us will make some good money fast when they finally announce BFG's discontinuation.  But it's still no good for the game and means hat we'll see fewer and fewer new players.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 10:22:16 PM »
Who's having the defeatist attitude now...

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »
Who's having the defeatist attitude now...

Not being defeatist in the least.  Just pointing out that 'Games Workshop Ignoring us is a good thing' is absolutely wrong headed, as 'They might make rules we don't like' is clearly trumped by 'They will stop producing the minis and send prices through the roof'. 

Having just had to replace a fleet, I can tell you it's not as cheap as it used to be, even with the help of some posters here.