September 27, 2024, 08:20:51 PM

Author Topic: Mixed IN Fleet Tactics  (Read 14349 times)

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Mixed IN Fleet Tactics
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
It's probably just my inexperience then ;)...I find it really hard to line up torpedo salvoes, although my only opponents so far have been tau and eldar, which does skew my perception a little.

Lining up vs Tau should not be a problem as they run on the same speed as the Imperial Navy.
And do remember the fact torpedos are fired in the front arc and straight on only. So you can give an angle on it when firing.

I think you ment to say they could be fired in the front arc and NOT straight on only.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »
ahem, correct.

Offline Talos

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
The problem against tau is not so much firing solutions as much as the fact that I have to use my ordnance so defensively. Oddly enough, it's the small emmisary torps that have caused the most damage; one particular game I took not only a boatload in general, but a 2 strength salvo inflicted 2 hits and 2 criticals  >:( I never seem to get a chance to actually fire ordnance at them...but maybe I play too cautiously against them? I have begun to wonder if maybe it's worth getting blasted in the face with AAF to get to grips right away...

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
getting close with Tau is always a good idea. Past their prow they lose most of their firepower.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
So take a more agressive stance with your ordinance. Launch bombers and send them after those emissarys, it might make them a bit more cautious with their ordinance. Even if they only launch the minimum fighters to intercept you have weakened their attack waves wich should make them more manageable. As for their torpedoes point your prow to them, hit the big red button (aaf) and pray for the best :D. Once your close to them your broadsides should even things out a bit.

Offline Talos

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
I will try these techniques, but I get the feeling I will enjoy my torpedoes more when I play against chaos. I will try the dictator some more; it is one of the few ships that has completely failed me so far, but to be fair I have only fielded it against eldar in a 750pt game, so it can still redeem itself. The other two are my lance dauntless, the pair of which has only hit 2 in two rounds of prow firing so far (as in 2 hit from 12 lance shots...ouch) and my mars (which, to be fair, was played in some of m first games, and I always forgot to reload the poor thing...). I have heard mention that mars are better in pairs, but that seems like a lot of points for a support ship (i.e. at least 540 without option out of a 1500pt list). Also find that the mars is a bullet soak. And not in the good way, I mean it eats bullets and the DIES.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:25:14 PM by Talos »

Offline ThaneAquilon

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
Against tau wouldn't armoured prose be a problem? I know the would be for me.

Offline Talos

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Not sure what you mean but If you mean the tau deflectors, then yeah they are a problem :D. If you mean imperial prows they are less relevant because they have to expose themselves to maximise their firepower, whereas fleet like tau get to present their most armored side and apply most of their weapons simultaneously.

Offline ThaneAquilon

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
I meant both, and specifically for closing torpedoes.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
Mars is actually one of the few IN ships i believe can go by itself, but it does do better paired. Novas should be taken in multiples tho, one is meh. Mars Dominator Gothic is a great base to work off of.

Eldar are designed to make Dictators look stupid, the only thing they have going for them is the weapons batteries which are not strong enough or ranged enough to be useful. The Mars is your budget carrier of choice here, better ranged weapons with the ability to negate the holofield - (all be it at a steep price) and novas dont totally suck (especially when ignoring the idiotic faq rule that holofields can save against the blast) lances are still crap but they make BMs. Mars is also only 20pts more than an Eclipse which is groovy. Torpedoes are much better against 5+ or lower armor so ya Chaos make good targets.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
Hey Talos,

Imperials exposing the lower side armour is not that worrying:
1) lances do not care about 5+ or 6+ anyway
2) look on the gunnery chart to see how many dice are rolled vs 6+ closing and 5+ abeam. Then some math... ;)

Andrew,
Oberon & Emperor & Excorcist are even better. ;)

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Duh, for got the Exo, which is awesome. I wouldnt really consider the BB's as your budget option tho although an Emperor is awesome if you can take one, 10 60cm weapons batteries in a 270 arc... I belive Talos is running mostly 750 games tho iirc?

Offline Talos

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
You are indeed correct, Chris, although this is out of necessity rather than choice, as my most common gaming partner only has 2 fleets at 750pts right now, although I believe that ThanAquilon is just about to finish an additional 750pts of eldar, which although I hate the pointy eared gits will allow bigger games, and I have been told imperials do a lot better in larger games where there internal synergy is more pronounced.

@horizon Not Mathing very well right now, but if I'm reading this correct you are more likely to score a hit closing vs. 6+ than abeam vs. 5+...never would have thought closing was worth so much more than +1 armor, I admit...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:13:14 PM by Talos »