July 26, 2024, 07:35:18 PM

Author Topic: What makes each race special?  (Read 9448 times)

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: What makes each race special?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
Belly up, another fine addition from Firestorm and one I wouldnt mind seeing added to BFG.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline jaggedtoothgrin

• A Monument To All Your Sins
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 02:23:17 AM »
3 pages and noone has mentioned the effect of inertia in space?

I have massive engines, I burn them, and start travelling in a direction
At this point I do not need to continue to burn engines to travel in that direction.
I can, in fact, turn my ship to be facing backwards (or any other angle i wish in any of the three axis, lets not forget things like tilt and yaw, i can roll my armoured section towards your attack, and still point my guns at where you're going to be by the time my projectiles get there) and continue to travel in the same direction at essentially the same pace as before.
Ship Orientation and Direction of Travel should not be so closely linked as they are.

But they are, because three dimensional interactions are significantly more complicated than two dimensional ones. thus we introduce small fixes (like the "flying over and under ships/planets but apparently not blast markers or nova cannon explosions" rule)

BFG is "Ships In Space" not "Spaceships"

if you want a more realistic interpretation, there are rulesets out there to cater to you. If you don't like the rules, and don't like/know the background, why play BFG at all? play Full Thrust or Attack Vector Tactical
If you want rules that provide a different flavour, try Firestorm Armada or X Wing or Call To Arms or any of the Star Trek and Bab 5 games to name a few?
~Every tool is a weapon, if you hold it right.~

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
Belly up, another fine addition from Firestorm and one I wouldnt mind seeing added to BFG.

This sounds like hilarity. Special Order: Barrel Roll. xD

3 pages and noone has mentioned the effect of inertia in space?

I have massive engines, I burn them, and start travelling in a direction
At this point I do not need to continue to burn engines to travel in that direction.
I can, in fact, turn my ship to be facing backwards (or any other angle i wish in any of the three axis, lets not forget things like tilt and yaw, i can roll my armoured section towards your attack, and still point my guns at where you're going to be by the time my projectiles get there) and continue to travel in the same direction at essentially the same pace as before.
Ship Orientation and Direction of Travel should not be so closely linked as they are.

Nope. No, no, no, nonono. Nope.

*claps hands over ears*
LALALALALAnotlistening.

Both myself and my opponent are well-versed in physics. Inertia in space is a pet peeve of his. However, your brain can and will explode by the time you work out all the things you need to account for, let alone make rules for them.

But they are, because three dimensional interactions are significantly more complicated than two dimensional ones. thus we introduce small fixes (like the "flying over and under ships/planets but apparently not blast markers or nova cannon explosions" rule)

Blast markers are different. Not least because there's nothing to indicate that blast markers do not spread equally in all directions, making them rather tall as well; significantly more so than the average ship. That said, the BFG scale is fudged so bad.

I'll do this next bit piece by piece:

BFG is "Ships In Space" not "Spaceships"

More or less what I'm actually going for. I just want to port ships to space in a slightly different way to how BFG has done it. ;)

if you want a more realistic interpretation, there are rulesets out there to cater to you.

I'm not going for hyper-realism. I just want a different flavour.

If you don't like the rules, and don't like/know the background, why play BFG at all? play Full Thrust or Attack Vector Tactical

Because BFG is the one I was introduced to while playing Dark Heresy, Black Crusade, and Rogue Trader. I do like the background, but I just don't know enough of it; and I also don't know the specifics of how the world applies to BFG because world and rules don't always line up.

If you want rules that provide a different flavour, try Firestorm Armada or X Wing or Call To Arms or any of the Star Trek and Bab 5 games to name a few?

Firestorm Armada might be worth a shot. However, Star Trek? Just how does a saucer with engines compare to cathedrals in space? If there's one stupid thing I love about BFG it's the cathedrals in space. That and the fact that all of the races are so different. You just don't get that sort of variety in Star Trek - they might look different but at the end of the day most of their tech is the same.

BFG might not show it as well as it could (something I'm also aiming to look at) but all (most) of the races are different at a fundamental level and that's what makes it so awesome.
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »
hm,
perhaps Hostile Stars:
http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/downloads/hostile-stars-rules-v2-02.pdf

has movement rules which are more in depth (eg nose pointing starboard, ship moving other direction).

Or go really complex:
http://www.adastragames.com/downloads/AVT_Tutorial.pdf

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
Hmmm, sounds interesting! I shall keep hold of those...

However, you're not going to flog me off on some other unsuspecting community that easily; you're stuck with me until I get bored  :P And I think we've strayed from the original topic, to a slightly different but related topic, to a completely different topic xD

So while I'm here... What's up with Eldar? I've heard reference to MSM and MMS; I assume that's move-shoot-move (shot on the run, in space) and move-move-shoot?
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »
Original eldar rules are move shoot move. While their ships are very fragile this led to terrible shenanigans. Basically if there was an average amount of terrain, eldar would hide behind it, pop out, shoot, run back behind terrain. Once they did some damage they would then disengage and claim victory. On the other hand if there was almost no terrain, eldar would get slaughtered. Either way made for really onesided games, and as you know onesided means not fun. From personal experience my first time playing eldar had a gas giant on the table that hid the entire eldar fleet. I never got a shot at him but he killed a cruiser and left the board saying he won. Imagine how cheated I felt knowing I didn't even roll a single dice offensively and he won by running away.

THus mms or move move shoot was born. The ships were toughened up a bit and the eldar were kept just as fast and manueverable but no longer had potentially game breaking rules with the added benefit of making them less reliant on terrain
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:48:25 PM by Gothmog Lord of Balrogs »
"Give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer Hell and we shall do it!"
www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com
sepulchreofheroes@gmail.com

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
It also reworked holofields to work based on range bands (e.g. You're within 15cm you're a dead eldar, as you should be :) )
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
I agree that abeam same direction should be equivalent to moving away
I don't have a problem with torpedoes auto loading with either a) running out or b) a failed reload this turn = loaded for next turn