July 06, 2024, 05:17:48 AM

Author Topic: Going crazy chasing the canon  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Eddie Orlock

Re: Going crazy chasing the canon
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:07:24 AM »
Well we're on about personal stances, Horizon, neither is yours.

They fund the library to sell books, and little more. Gone are the days when the material was reviewed against the god books and creator of the universe granted his blessings. They have stated that they're not in the business of building a consistent setting. Library works are more akin to star trek books than star wars novels.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:16:07 AM »
Ehm...that isn't my personal view. It is a view that has been given by GW/BL.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
Sorry Horizon but they never gave a definitive"Yes" to your query before. I will agree that the general outline of the history is officially accurate but that's because that's what they had to follow. Otherwise, you'd be reading books where the Horus Heresy never happened. The details of a lot of the books, however, really are very questionable.

If they're ALL official, I want my Dreadnought carrying Land Raider.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:53:16 PM by Admiral_d_Artagnan »

Offline Madness

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
If they're ALL official, I want my Dreadnought carrying Land Raider.
Sorry pal we lost the STC.

Offline Xisor

• The Account of a Lifetime
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
Everything 'published' by GW (i.e. presented by GW as any sort of official GW thing) is canon.

However, canon=!official.

In terms of BFG Fluff, it is wisest to assume that an heirarchy exists with Rulebook>Armada>Online Rules*>Magazine>FOM (Fanatic Online Magazine)>Else, where lots of Else simply isn't 'official' at all.

* The 'short time only' Tau's Commerce Protection Fleet, the Adeptus Mechanicus etc.

Now, as I said, all GW publishes (i.e. something which is GW copyright and sanctioned to be published) 'is' canon. This doesn't mean the same as it does for, say, Star Wars. GW's policy is 'everything is canon, especially the contradictory bits'. So in that regard Squat fleets should be just around the corner.

The rule is a blanket rule which enables them not to enforce (or arguably waste money, time and effort) canon by stressing out over whether a ship is 3km or 3.5km long. One need only look at Dan Abnett. His works are often rather enjoyable reads and they certainly are amongst the BLP's best-sellers, but they often trundle over folks' ideas of canon like a steamroller over some flimsy origami birds.

By the same token, Codices and Rulebooks make mistakes all the time. There's a loose 'hymnsheet' to which the studio attempts to be singing off of, but let's not stress too much, as long as we're in the same ballpark. Or maybe even just on the same dreamscape...

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 07:41:32 PM »
Xisor is right on the money. There is a basic backbone of the 40K universe background, the rest is quite vague allowing writters of varying recognition not to mention every day gamers to be quite creative.

Cheers,

RayB
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!