August 04, 2024, 03:15:22 AM

Author Topic: Fluff Questions  (Read 3010 times)

Offline lastspartacus

Fluff Questions
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:26:46 AM »
Ok fellows, I got a few fluff questions.  I am entering for black library publication in May, and I am doing research.

Any way to know the entire known list of marine chapters operating in Ultima Segmentum?

Given how young most Tau are when they die, it is very likely that Farsight is dead by the time of the Taros campaign and afterwards, yes?  The Enclaves ruled by some successor I assume?

Marines all have these grandoise names.  Do they gain a new name when they are indoctrinated?  Or keep their first name or surname from before?

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
Re: Fluff Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:59 AM »
Honestly as far as number of marine chapters anywhere is a very vaguely described thing, it could be 100 it could be 1000 in ultima. All you can know is the ones actually listed.

For one thing the Death Spectres are watchers of the Ghoul Stars, and will be taking part in the 'Tartanus' fluff, but that's besides the point.

40k isn't written in a 'now' sense, in fact storylines develop at several different times simultaneously, even though there is fluff on the tau empire in 996.M41 it doesn't mean that the storyline for Farsight couldn't be 'present' feeling at 765.M41.

The Argument for farsight not being dead is that his sword somehow makes him immortal or particularly long-lived. However I don't imagine GW 'finishing' or even developing his story much for years to come.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:37 AM »
I had the same idea about the sword, but it isn't even vaguely hinted at anywhere in fluff, right?

As to the number of chapters present, I was simply asking of any mentioned references to known space marine chapters based on mentioned fluff references.  I'd like to find preferably an assault oriented chapter mentioned, as jump marines are going to be primary antagonists of the hero.

Offline Tygre

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:33 AM »
Marines in Ultima Segmentum

Those with a Homeworld in the Ultima Segmentum
White Scars
Salamanders
Crimson Fists
Fire Lords
Blood Angels
Sable Swords
Ultramarines
Doom Legion
Knights of the Raven
Death Spectres

Crusading Chapters
Black Templars
Omega Marines

Those are the chapters named on the Galaxy Map in the Space Marine section in the 40k rulebook.  Of course their will be more than those listed.
Have a look at that map for ideas.  If you want a Space Marine chapter close to the Tau empire then I suggest you make one up.

I have no idea if Farsight is still alive.

Most Space Marines in the fiction seem to keep the names they were born with.  There might be some chapters that anoint a new name on Initiation.

Best of luck.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:43 AM »
Wow thanks alot for that!

As to the names, I simply ask because no matter what scum planet they come from, marines all seem to have rather grandoise names :)

Edit:  Where did you get knights of the raven?  Lexicanum has no knowledge of them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:52:34 AM by lastspartacus »

Offline Tygre

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »
The Knights of the Raven were just a chapter name mentioned on the map in the 40k rulebook.
Their Homeworld is Coralax, and its due East of Baal.  Quite a fair way from the Tau Empire.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:46 AM »
They are actually perfect.  On further searching, they are both assault oriented (raven guard successor) and participated in active campaigns against the Tau.  They will be the perfect villains for my story, so thats one question down :)

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
They are actually perfect.  On further searching, they are both assault oriented (raven guard successor) and participated in active campaigns against the Tau.  They will be the perfect villains for my story, so thats one question down :)

As far as if a Marine gains a new name on induction, it probably varies from chapter to chapter.  That seems to be a stock answer for things like that, but seems to be the correct one in this case. 
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
That satisfactorily answers those questions, thanks!

A few more little things have come up.

1.  Is there any indication of whether or not Farsight is more or less open to working with xenos than the Empire is?

2.  I always pictured jump packs and jet packs allowing some form of sustained flight, but reading the descriptions they seem to function more as an aid for jumping around and such.  Is there any fluff examples you all have read where these devices are capable of even short sustained flight?

3.  Does the Tau empire have any answer to battlefield injuries such as lost limbs?  As in, have they made any advances in regrowth, bionics, or even age enhancement, as the Imperium has.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
Another one:  Are there any resources with better in depth information for the fluff stickler?