September 14, 2024, 12:16:59 AM

Author Topic: Is this a 'hard' fleet?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Trasvi

Is this a 'hard' fleet?
« on: November 13, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »
I've just started playing BFG recently, in a fairly active club that has a tournament happening in 3 weeks. I've been winning nearly all of my games, even against more experienced opponents, without a huge amount of tactical effort.
My fleet 1000pts (Forgeworld Tau, the forgeworld rules):
Custodian; Kor'el
2x Warden
2x Protector
4x Castellan

Many people at the club comment on my amount of 'ordnance spam' and get overwhelmed by my AC, though most of my opponents focus on guns rather than carriers. At the tournament we're looking to have about 5 chaos, 5 imperials, 2 necrons, 2 orks, 1 dark eldar and myself as the only Tau player. I don't want to come across as a powergamer at the tournament; is this fleet really that difficult to beat?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:29:08 PM by Trasvi »

Offline Zelnik

Re: Is this a 'hard' fleet?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Any fool who doesn't bring at least launch capacity 8 to the table (necrons don't count) deserves the pounding your dishing out. Enjoy the victories until they wise up.

I suggest you fill your fleet out to 1500, and continue to 'educate' your friends with extreme vengeance.

Offline BlueDagger

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
There is a reason Tau win most tournies ;)

Offline wellspring

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
Who needs male enhancement when you have lots and lots of ordnance. ;)

I think your fleet is fine; has the eldar player been criticized for taking both his moves? Ordnance is the Tau specialty.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
The reason is because there is no limit to explorer battleships :P

Remember, the Tau empire is small compared to the Imperium. There is a DAMN good reason why such a small empire has survived against a galaxy-spanning dystopia. Their space combat is amazing and they are REALLY far away.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »
I don't think it's all that bad of a fleet.

Zel, they've survived this long because the Imperium keeps getting called away to deal with bigger threats like hive fleets and annoying black crusades. Damocles would have seen them exterminated were it not for Leviathan tunring into a greater threat. Should the imperium ever get enough time to have another go, I think things would go rather poorly for the Tau.
-Vaaish

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
The fleet ain't bad. But under 1000pts I only field Protectors/Castellans.

Offline Trasvi

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
The fleet ain't bad. But under 1000pts I only field Protectors/Castellans.

The alternative list I can think of is: 4x Protector, 3x Castellan; 3 Protector, 1 Emissary, 5 Castellan; or 3x Protector, 7x Castellan (but I don't have enough Castellans to fill that out). Or 5 protectors, but not enough models for that either.

I think your fleet is fine; has the eldar player been criticized for taking both his moves? Ordnance is the Tau specialty.

What do you mean by this?  We don't actually have an Eldar player at all, and the DE player is coming from another club so I haven't played him either.

Any fool who doesn't bring at least launch capacity 8 to the table (necrons don't count) deserves the pounding your dishing out. Enjoy the victories until they wise up.
I suggest you fill your fleet out to 1500, and continue to 'educate' your friends with extreme vengeance.

The tourney is 1000pts max (trying to fit 5 games in 1 day I think) so a lot of people I think will find 8  LB's difficult to bring.
But, if you think it's their fleet composition  and not mine which is the problem, I'm happy :)

Offline wellspring

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:57:30 AM »

What do you mean by this?  We don't actually have an Eldar player at all, and the DE player is coming from another club so I haven't played him either.

I mean that just because two players fielding 1000 point fleets should have an equal chance of winning (all things being equal including tactical skill of players and skill at picking a fleet), that doesn't mean that they should be identical. Each fleet has something it does very well relative to the others. The path you take to victory will vary depending on your fleet.

For tau, it's ordnance. It's supposed to be good, and other stuff is weaker to compensate.

What I meant was that people complaining about Tau ordnance might as well be complaining that Eldar get eldar moves.

Offline Lord Duggie The Mad

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
I've just ordered a similar fleet off forgeworld.  Damn you, Horizon, for making them look so cool on the modelling page ;D
"Orders, sir?"
"Blast 'em to bits!  Do I have to think of everything?!"

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »
Ha! :)