October 28, 2024, 09:22:06 PM

Author Topic: Hexon Scenery, and BlackEd's Daemons  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Carrington

Hexon Scenery, and BlackEd's Daemons
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:06:58 AM »
Quote from: azrael71 on Yesterday at 05:09:10 PM
@carrington
A full inventory would be cool along with a total expenditure.
I also have toyed with this system a lot, but I need it to be easily and quickly moved, is this the case?
My wife is very understanding, but having this semi permanently setup will undoubtedly cause friction  

I bought my Hexon set on ebay, probably about $400 all told -- 2-3 boxes of the six hex flats, and then a bunch of hills: the set up you see is for a 6x4 table, and I'm fairly confident I could have covered a 4x8 table with ease (~120cmx240cm).  (I then proceded to sell my two boxes of Geo Hex for about $450: I'd bought them in the early '90s and basically never used them).

The pictures are from the Time Machine, a game shop about 45 miles away from where I live.  I packed the Hexon hexes into three plastic file boxes -- fairly portable if you're able to park near the venue.   One cool thing is that the 6-hex units can be flipped over
and filled with about ~8mm of plaster if you want to model rivers, trenches, shellholes, bugholes, or the like.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:13:02 AM by Carrington »

Offline Carrington

Re: Hexon Scenery, and BlackEd's Daemons
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
Pictures from a very close match, 2k of Tomb Kings vs. 2k of BlackEd's Demons, from the Tournament list.
The Hexon set up made for an interesting and infantry-friendly game.  First time I'd met BlackEd in person: a real pleasure to be able to set up a game.

Initial set up: Demons

Initial set up: Tomb Kings

End of turn 1, approximately

The Undead move forward. Note the 60x40mm cavalry stand -- these massed stands worked fairly well.

Fluffy, the Demon Army's one wizard

BlackEd's Cthulu Daemons.  The Try-Demon Beats spent basically the entire game under doom and despair (hence the blast marker borrowed from epic.  It was suggested that a 'Hello Kitty' marker might better reflect the impact of Doom and Despair for Demons.

Around turn 3.  A brigade of U/D infantry about to turn to dust.  Note BlackEd's custom-sculpted worms.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »
Wow, so great pictures. Seeing a custom army in action is always a really really pleasure. Alos the undead dragons are super!!

Offline Carrington

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:41:40 AM »

Greater Demon hits a unit of Chariots in the flank.  This one was painful, but left the greater Demon wounded.

A closer shot.

Pause to appreciate an E:A mega-battle on the table behind me.

I'm going by memory, and the time stamp on the photos, but I think the Greater Demon hit on my right at about the same time as the scrum on the center.  The GD can be seen licking his wounds on the lower right, while the result of the first scrum in the center can be seen.

Demons follow up on their victory in the center.  Meanwhile the wounded GD gets swarmed by a unit of Chariots and a unit of cavalry.

The battle continues to swirl in the center: the Demon's center and left brigades have distracted themselves with visions of puppies and kittens.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:11:08 AM by Carrington »

Offline Carrington

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:07:25 AM »
Wow, so great pictures. Seeing a custom army in action is always a really really pleasure. Alos the undead dragons are super!!

Thanks.  The dragons are great castings... but I'm afraid their painting is 'good from far, but far from good.'  Not to mention that I've never gotten around to finishing the bases.  I also need to figure out what to do with their broken spears. :-/.

The center continues 'hot.'

By this point I've gotten pretty bloodied (dusted?) as Tomb Kings, prolly three away from break point. But the chariots on my left see an opportunity... Meanwhile, Demon Beasts continue befuddled by Doom and Despair (Kitties and puppies). Offscreen, to the right, a unit of Carrion have flown in to block retreats.

The chariots take significant losses, but pulp three units of Demons in the process.  I've learned the value of expendable dragons (the previous game it was the Tomb King riding the dragon)... The lone stand of Demons die, and the demon army breaks.  TKs remain about two away from the break point.

A nail-biter of a game... I was convinced I'd lost it basically up until this last charge.... And a single unit of chariots is awfully rickety when it all comes down to the wire.  

The hexes on the upper left were 'home finished' (not by me).  The rest were flocked by Kallistra.

Back to the mega battle.

This titan is a tough old coot.  I've forgotten if he died in this game.

Epic: A Juggers and a scratch built titan.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:11:43 AM by Carrington »

Offline Carrington

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »

More pictures of my Hexon, this time from an IG vs. Eldar game.  The trees are borrowed.  Note to self... make some trees, they look awfully nice.

The blurry patch in the upper right is the result of my 2-year old son's experiments in photography.  I think he has since learned not to put his fingers on the lens.

This was that game's near-final scrum in the center.  Very nice Biel-Tan.  Unfinished 'Chimeros,' (I had a lot of them, and the GW castings are pretty scarce on Ebay). The infantry/Ruses I got in separate ebay trades.

I need to finish painting my 'Chimeros.'   IG mech infantry is fast and very useful.

Did I say there was a gawdawful scrum in the center?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:16:17 AM by Carrington »

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
Two battle reports for the price of one  :D
Great pics and a what looks like great games.
Always good when you can get a game or two in with new opponents.

Offline Haranin

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
Nice to see the Hexon terrain in action. Been debating for a while what to do for a table.

Offline Carrington

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
Another possibility, considerably less expensive:

www.zuzzy.com

Offline Geep

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 04:53:12 AM »
Warmaster and Epic... Where do you live? I want to join in.

What was the outcome of the Epic game?

Very nice looking models in both games. I'm not a huge fan of the many obvious lines that a hex board has, and those hills look like a right pain to try and put models on. Beats what I currently have though :)

Offline Carrington

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
I'm in Connecticut, we have semi-monthly games at the Time Machine in Manchester, with other games at the Whiz in Worcester, and BlackEd is sponsoring a tournament in New Hampshire at the beginning of 2011.  It'd be great to see you!

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
Its great to see these photos up on the net. 

I had a good time even though the daemons didn't win!  I got a good first charge in, but the deamons just couldn't drive home the killing blow.  It didn't help that I had 4 units that didn't move the entire game.

I loved having all those hills on the table.  I am going to make more hills than I have now, and see if I can recreate the lumpy/bumpy terrain that the Hexon board had.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 03:25:50 AM »
I forgot to mention the 6cm x 4cm bases for the cavalry units:  I really liked the units Carrington had on these bases.  They looked great and were painted well.  The single combined base gives more opportunities for modelling, and Carrington had some interesting things happening on the bases.

In addition, Carrington had metal rectangles that we used to keep units together.  (All our stands had a magnetic layer on the bottom.)  This was also a really cool idea.  It allowed us to move a whole unit at the same time.  It made movement faster.  I thought it was a really nice idea, and I will try getting some of those metal plates myself.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »
Just remember that when playing by the rulebook no part of any stand in the unit may move more then the official moving distance for the unit. In my experience that would mean sacrificing distance when moving those bigger stands and often can lead to some stands flagging behind.

That said I like the idea of metal "movement" trays, and I am curious how you guys handled some of the logistics of units droppin stands.

Offline Geep

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
It'd be great to see you!
Alas, I live in Australia, and definitely have no cash to travel at the moment  :'( One day I'll find an opponent for the lonely armies I build.

Do the movement trays get in the way of making brigades at all? Seems like an interesting idea.