August 05, 2024, 01:19:40 AM

Author Topic: Rogue Traders draft rules for BFG  (Read 57630 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Rogue Traders draft rules for BFG
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2010, 04:19:18 AM »
No Shadow Point is from what I heard a really good book about BFG battles and such.

My point still remains: just do not look at BL books for reasonable thought out backgrounds and such.
Or as BL once stated:it is another view on the universe then GW can/does publish.

Towed is towed. Tuggled or non-tuggled.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:12 AM »
No Shadow Point is from what I heard a really good book about BFG battles and such.

My point still remains: just do not look at BL books for reasonable thought out backgrounds and such.
Or as BL once stated:it is another view on the universe then GW can/does publish.

Towed is towed. Tuggled or non-tuggled.

But... it's not only impossible, it's pointless, given how warp travel works.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
Explain that to the tugs towing the Ramilies.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
Yep, tow ships for such systems. And otherwise only smaller ships. A ramilies could have them attached easily I think.

But that flies in the face of how the warp works. If you have two ships in contact in the warp, they intersect each other's space.  When they both come back into the materium, they're fused together.  This is the (current fluff) way (among others) space hulks begin to form.  They'd have to both be inside the same Geller field, which only extends a few meters outside the ship.  So the only way a ship can transport another ship is internally.  Actually towing another ship through the warp would be suicidal, as they would both either be totally fused together, or be torn apart by the stresses on their individual frames.

Admittedly, how the Stryxis get around this with their caravan ships isn't clear, as is lampshaded in Edge of the Abyss, page 78 'How they are able to do this without blowing themselves into the vacuum of space is anybody's guess'.

Probably the same way Orks do it- a Space Hulk can two up to four Roks through the warp. How do I know? cuz Andy C said so!

A Ramilies can definitely be towed through the warp. Then agan, tha'snot really the best xample because its own fluff states it generates an enormous gellar field to traverse the warp so it's possible the tugs actually nestle inside the Ramilies' field during transit. Then again, the tugs can be physically be attached to the hull s "tow" is a term rather loosely-used. Even for something as powerful as a Ramilies the procedure is risky. Each time its done, theres's a 17% chance it will founder in the warp, and a 3% chance it will be lost for good. That's pretty crappy odds when you are talking about several billion tons of hardware worth more than your average planet's total GDP. There's plenty of other fluff suggesting ships hulks are towed from one system to the other, though in all cases the procedure is described as dangerous.

Now I'm going to bed.

- Nate

Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Happy New Year's everyone! Now that the BFG FAQ/Errata is finally out, we're looking to wrap up the rest of the projects we have in work. The Kor'or'vesh Fleet list has been pretty static over the last few weeks so this is one that will probably be the next one pushed over the top. However, because of how closely it interrelates with the Rogue Traders rules, it is best that these be released together.

I'm aiming for next Wednesday (Jan 5th) as the date we push this over. While I know there's lots of things people wanted to see that didn't get added to the list, at this point I'm looking for things that are actually broken, NOT "I think it should be this and not that," and so on. Please note that "broken" means "provides tactically unfair advantage" or "so over-priced it is essentially unusable" or "the rules as written don't make sense or are too vague." Something that presents a tactical challenge to use does not in and of itself mean that it is broken unless it "breaks theme" with the fleet, like putting Abbadon the Despoiler in charge of a Tau fleet or allowing Necrons to be used as reserves for Imperials, or something equally absurd.

The goal at this point is to produce a useable rule-set that doesn't need a follow-on FAQ to make it work, not a line-by-line assessment on how each ship relates to fluff, how this ship or that ship needs this added or subtracted, etc. Being too slow or not turning as well does not fall into this category. This does NOT mean we aren't listening. However, we have fielded so many contradictory complaints, demands and other such rants like "make it like this or I'm going to smash all my models and never play this game again" (that was an actual e-mail) that at this point I'm happy with 90% right just as long as we can reach an end-state that is more or less fair for everyone. Keeping that in mind, anything you have to bring to the table concerning Rogue Traders will be greatly appreciated.

The Rogue Traders rules can be found on the BFG repository page by clicking the link on my signature. Again, thanks for everything you all do.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2011, 05:46:58 AM »
The Rogue Traders rules have been pushed over and are now FINAL. A few last-minute small tweaks and corrections have been incorporated.